Pan-Canadian Plan for Antimicrobial Resistance (AMR) in Animal Health
In recognition of the growing threat of AMR, the Government of Canada, in collaboration with federal, provincial, and territorial partners developed and finalized the Pan-Canadian Action Plan (PCAP) on Antimicrobial Resistance (AMR). The PCAP provides a 5-year multi-jurisdictional and multi-sectoral roadmap for concerted action to address AMR. It outlines 10 shared priority actions across 5 pillars of action:
- Research and Innovation
- Infection Prevention and Control
In October 2023, Animal Health Canada in partnership with Agriculture and Agri-Food Canada initiated a ‘network of network’ project. “Supporting animal health antimicrobial resistance (AMR) governance and the implementation of the Pan-Canadian Action Plan (PCAP)” will develop a leadership team and plan for the implementation of the Pan-Canadian Action Plan (PCAP) on Antimicrobial Resistance (AMR) in animal health. Increasing coordination and collaboration with diverse partners across One Health sectors will work together to improve the appropriate use of antimicrobials and combat AMR. Multiple jurisdictions, partners, and sectors including but not limited to federal, provincial, territorial (FPT), and industry will come together to establish a common agenda and take collective action to mitigate the spread and emergence of AMR.
Learn more about PCAP and the progress on this new initiative:
- Pan-Canadian Action Plan (PCAP) on Antimicrobial Resistance (AMR), 2023
- Building Momentum: Activities Underway to Address Antimicrobial Resistance in Canada – Compendium to the Pan-Canadian Action Plan on Antimicrobial Resistance
- Report 6 - Antimicrobial Resistance – Reports of the Auditor General of Canada to the Parliament of Canada 2023
Stakeholder Communications & Project Updates:
- Initial Stakeholder Update – Oct. 31, 2023
- Setting the Path Forward: Leadership Action for the Pan-Canadian Action Plan (PCAP) for AMR in Animal Health
- Strategic Planning Workshop Meeting – November 22, 2023 – information to come.