African Swine Fever (ASF)
African Swine Fever (ASF) is a virus that only infects pigs, it is not harmful to humans. The virus causes severe disease in pigs – more than 95% of pigs that are infected will die. ASF spreads through both direct and indirect contact with infected pigs or products containing pork, as well as contaminated farm equipment, feed and clothing. It poses a significant risk to the health of the Canadian swine herd, pork industry and the Canadian economy.
ASF has been spreading rapidly throughout countries in Europe, Asia and Africa over the past 2.5 years. To date, no countries in North America have detected ASF. In Canada, ASF is a reportable disease under the Health of Animals Act. All suspected cases must be reported to the Canadian Food Inspection Agency (CFIA).
The coordination of Canada's ASF planning, preparedness and readiness for response sits with Animal Health Canada. An ASF Coordination team will work hard at developing connections with all levels of ASF planning including national, provincial and industry organizations within Canada. The team's main objective will be to continue to move ASF planning and preparedness initiatives in a forward direction while ensuring that deliverables are meeting associated timelines.
ASF Coordination Team:
- Erica Charlton - AHC Emergency Management Division Director
- Mikki Shatosky - AHC Emergency Management Division Coordinator
- ASF Executive Management Board
- Pillar 1: Enhanced Biosecurity-Prevention
- Pillar 2: Preparedness Planning
- Pillar 3: Ensure Business Continuity
- Pillar 4: Coordinated Risk Communication
- ASF Newsletters
- ASF Resources
ASF in the News
- July 30, 2021 - https://www.canada.ca/en/food-inspection-agency/news/2021/07/confirmed-finding-of-african-swine-fever-in-the-dominican-republic.html
- September 20, 2021 - ASF is confirmed in Haiti and was reported to the World Animal Health Organisation (OIE). The outbreak was reported in the city of Anse-à-Pitres which is in the south-east department of Haiti. Its border crossing to Pedernales is one of the four chief land crossings to the Dominican Republic where ASF detection has already been confirmed.
- October 6, 2021 - Vietnam agrees to zoning arrangement to allow for safe trade from Canada in the event of an African swine fever outbreak